Metadata is data about data. its describe another items’s content. The metadata often used in the context of webpages. it helps to search engine optimisation (SEO) , Find and Understand the data. see the below image you can understand easily
- Title and description,
- Tags and categories
- Who created and when
- Who last modified and when
- Who can access or update
Types Of Metadata
- Markup Languages include metadata used for navigation and interoperability. Properties might include heading, name, date, list, and paragraph.
- Technical metadata properties include file types, size, creation date and time, and type of compression. Technical metadata is often used for digital object management and interoperability.
- Rights metadata might include copyright status, rights holder, or license terms.
- Descriptive metadata properties include title, subject, genre, author, and creation date, for example.
- Preservation metadata is used in navigation. Example preservation metadata properties include an item’s place in a hierarchy or sequence
Some Example of html metadata
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<meta name="description" content="Site Name">
<meta name="author" content="Author details">
<meta name="Keywords" content="Site Keywords">
<meta name="refresh" content="20">